Reading Olympics, Encore, Oh my!

I have to say – I fully intended to update my blog Friday before I left for the weekend…and then of course yesterday! Sometimes I think there needs to be two of me!!

Today is a special day – it marks our very first Reading Olympics meeting. I am very excited. We have 19 students who have signed up… truth be told – I’d like 5 more – to make two teams of 12. But hey, that’s just the competitive side of me talking!! GES has not won the competition yet, and I’d like to see that happen in 2013! We will be using a Edmodo to discuss the books that are being read for Reading Olympics through out the year. Check it out!

For Encore classes we have been learning about all the resources in the library and where to find them all. To make this a little more fun in grades 3 – 5, we went on an iHunt…. a scavenger hunt where students took pictures of various items using an iPod.

Library iHunt

iHunt – New Books

iHunt-iPod

iHunt – Taking pictures with the iPod

For my younger students, we have been learning how to take care of our library books. We go through the “Backpack of Book Care” to help us remember the best way to treat our books and the ways NOT to treat our books. Younger students have also been practicing checking out books using shelf markers to help make sure that the library shelves stay in order. Students are learning that each and every library book has a certain place that it ‘lives’!

About Mrs. Ray

Hi! I’m Tiffany Ray, the Library Media Specialist at Goochland Elementary School. I serve both GES and the Gifted Specialty Center. I have been the GES Library Media Specialist since the beginning of the 2007/2008 school year AND I absolutely love it! I recently completed my masters degree in School Library Media through Longwood University. I am endorsed in Library Media K – 12, and am endorsed to teach grades PK – 8. I have experience teaching in 2nd through 5th grades and 8th science and social studies. Not only have I taught here in Goochland, but also in Virginia Beach and York County, Virginia. I chose to pursue Library Media for several reasons!! One, I absolutely love books and everything about them. Two, I enjoy the flexibility and variety the library allows me to have in my everyday teaching. I get to teach every student who attends GES/SC! I can center my information literacy lessons around each grade level’s content area – using all the best technology Goochland County Schools has to offer.
This entry was posted in Information, Reading Olympics, Resources. Bookmark the permalink.