I apologize for not posting lately, but so much has been going on and I’m just now catching up on sharing all of the latest Library excitement!
First, I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to all of the amazing volunteers who worked tirelessly to make the Kingdom of Reading book fair a success. In fact, this was THE MOST SUCCESSFUL BOOK FAIR EVER AT RES!!! Wow!! Thank you thank you thank you for your generosity! I will be sure to share what our plans are for the money you helped to raise for our school library program.
Here are a few pics from the Kingdom of Reading book fair events…
Click here to get the latest information about the book fair! The Book Fair page on this blog will give you Preview Day (October 24) schedules, Purchase schedules, and information about how to volunteer!
It’s hard to believe, but the fall Book Fair is ONE MONTH away! This October, we will be transforming the RES Library-Media Center into Sir Readalot’s Castle: Enter the Kingdom of Books!
I am currently searching for volunteers to help with this huge, but incredibly rewarding, task. Volunteers positions include…
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Set up a Sign Up Genius page to organize shifts
- Recruit other volunteers
- Decorations Committee
- Create displays based on the theme
- Work with Student Crew
- All for Books Coordinator
- Create a lollipop sale display or student contest to help raise money for the All for Books program…and for RES!
- Wish List Assistant
- Help the students locate books, prices, and items they are interested in purchasing on Student Preview Day (October 24).
- Write titles of books on Wish Lists for younger students.
- Sales Associate
- Work the cash register to help with student and family purchases during sale days.
- Muffin Donations
- Donate items for our Muffins with Mummies event on the morning of October 29.
- Set-Up Crew
- Come in during the morning of October 23 to move tables, take books out of boxes, create table displays, and organize the items for sale
- Take-Down Crew
- Help during the afternoon of October 31 to re-pack boxes, make final financial deposits, and get the library back to “normal.”
ANY assistance that volunteers can provide would be absolutely wonderful! Thank you in advance for all that you do to make RES such an amazing school!
I am so excited for my students to visit the LMC this week!
5th grade classes will be introduced to Grolier Online, which includes eight encyclopedia databases: Encyclopedia Americana, Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, The New Book of Knowledge, La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre, America the Beautiful, Lands and Peoples, Amazing Animals of the World, and The New Book of Popular Science.
It’s a wonderful resource for them to use as it helps to…
- Build vocabulary and analytical skills
- Strive to comprehend increasing levels of text complexity
- Identify and articulate point of view
- Master analysis of evidence-based learning
- Build digital reading stamina
- Acquire content-area knowledge
- Closely read informational and authentic texts
Students will be given an assignment to use Grolier Online to create a coat of arms (to be displayed at Sir Readalot’s Castle Book Fair!!!). The coat of arms must include symbols that represent their heritage as well as what they would like to accomplish in the future.
4th grade students will continue to review how to use the Alexandria Online library catalog to search for books they would like to read. They will be given a TOP SECRET “Mission Possible” challenge to accomplish during class.
3rd grade teachers have asked me to help their students find “just right” books, so we will begin reading Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians (see last week’s post for more information).
Spaghetti Dinner Night is still ON! We will have special Book Fair Fiesta hours from 4-7 PM. Please visit and take a look at the amazing selection of books we will have for sale. And don’t forget that the Online Book Fair will be open until March 15th!
Update: Scholastic granted permission for the RES Book Fair Fiesta to stay open on MONDAY, March 10th! That will now be the final sale day.
VOLUNTEERS: Please sign up to help if at all possible! THANK YOU!
TEACHERS: The plan is to have the Book Fair open from 8 AM until 2 PM on Monday if we get enough volunteers to help with shifts. I am not going to schedule classes, just send students who bring money to the Book Fair when it is convenient for you. Please remember that it is typically very busy from 8:15-9 AM.
The wintry weather has prevented students from being able to shop at the RES Book Fair Fiesta. However, they can still shop ONLINE until March 15th.
The ONLINE Book Fair has plenty of benefits!
- Search for books by age, grade, category, & price.
- See what the latest movie favorites and hot series titles are.
- Browse through titles in this month’s special collection: Women’s History Month.
- View book trailers and podcasts to learn more about specific titles.
- Find out which books have won awards.
- View the flyers to see which books are highlighted.
- Discuss the book selections together, as a family.
- Send eCards to family & friends.
- Shop even if you’re not at home.
- Students can create their own virtual wish lists.
- FREE shipping to RES!
- More time to browse the selections…you have until March 15th!
- Many, many more titles are available at the ONLINE Book Fair than ever before!
- Best of all…ALL proceeds benefit the students and teachers at RES!
Click on the following link to visit the RES ONLINE Book Fair Fiesta:
You can also view a list of books I recommend: http://onlinebookfairs.scholastic.com/search/c1/Teacher/c2/VVCI1WnFd%2f8%3d/
Some of the children have expressed an interest in purchasing the Minecraft Essential Handbook at the RES Book Fair Fiesta. Unfortunately, the publisher has not yet released this title.
Because this title appears in the Book Fair advertising, children can pre-pay the $5.99 cost for this book at the Book Fair. I will keep a master list of all of the pre-paid orders. The pre-paid orders will be shipped directly to RES as soon as the books are available. Each child who pre-pays for this Minecraft book will get a FREE Minecraft poster as an apology for not being able to get the book during the Book Fair at school.
Due to the snow days this week, the Book Fair Fiesta will only be open for two days. It is open today from 8 AM until 3:30 PM and on Friday from 8 AM until 7 PM.
Students are scheduled to visit the Book Fair with their classes and will be given time to shop during school. You may also shop with your family – and are encouraged to come between 3 and 5 PM on Friday before the Spaghetti Dinner Night activities begin.
If you are sending money to school with your child, please be sure to make checks payable to RES.
Thank you for your continued support and encouragement to make reading an important part of your child’s life.
Since we missed the Preview Day as well as the 1st and 2nd Purchase Days at the Book Fair due to snow, I’m going to let teachers decide what is best for visiting the Book Fair with their classes.
- If you want to change/add times, please visit the Sign Up Genius link. There should still be plenty of time slots available for classes to sign up to preview and/or purchase books. The space is very small, so we can only accommodate one class at a time.
- Please stop by and help build classroom libraries by donating books to teachers!
Also, I have decided to stay OPEN from 8 AM until 7 PM on Friday. That should allow families plenty of time to visit prior to the Spaghetti Dinner Night festivities.
All other days, the Book Fair will only be open from 8 AM until 3:30 PM.
Sunshine, rain or snow,
Randolph’s “Book Fair Fiesta!”
is ready to go!
Members of the “Book Fair Fiesta!” Student Crew volunteered their time to come to school on a Saturday to help on Set-Up Day. The “Book Fair Fiesta!” was scheduled to open today, March 3rd, but due to the snow, opening day will be delayed. Once we know when we will return to school, I will post an updated schedule on this blog. Thank you for your support of Randolph Elementary School’s Library-Media Center!