Students are “Reaching for the StARs” in this year’s Accelerated Reader program!!
Updates to the hallway progress chart will be made between now and December 1. Students are working hard this year to try and earn an AR brag tag – and possibly another fun AR celebration at the end of the year. So far, Reading Roadrunners have earned nearly 5,500 AR points this year!!!
Summary of AR Point Clubs (as of November 18):
- 5 Point Club — 190 students
- 10 Point Club — 128 students
- 25 Point Club — 49 students
- 50 Point Club — 22 students
- 100 Point Club — 9 students
- 200 Point Club — 3 students
- 300 Point Club — 1 student
- 400 Point Club — 1 student
I just happened to glance at the Schoolwide Summary report in the Accelerated Reader program tonight and was THRILLED to see that our Reading Roadrunners have already earned 1433.5 points! 4th grade is ROCKING it out with 840.9 points!
All I can say is: WOW! I think we’re going to have to set the school-wide AR goal high this year…and save $$ for more bouncy obstacle courses!
And to top it off, TWO students have already been inducted into the 100 POINT CLUB! Way to go, Anna and Nate!
CONGRATULATIONS, Roadrunners and keep reading those “just right” books!
Click here to view the 36 titles that are on the 2014-15 Reading Olympics book list.
4th & 5th grade students who are interested in participating in RO will be given permission slips in August when we return to school.
Future Reading Olympians may begin reading from the list now…or they may wait until the first formal meeting in the beginning of September.
- Reading Olympians will work in teams to collectively read from the list of 36 books between September and March.
- Team members will be required to come to weekly meetings, which will be scheduled during the 4th & 5th grade Core Extension block on Wednesdays.
- In the meetings, students will share information on the books they have read with their teammates.
- Students will be required to take and earn at least an 80% passing rate on the Accelerated Reader (AR) test for each book read.
- Students must read a minimum of 6 RO books before April 1.
- There will be deadlines which RO participants must meet to continue working with their teams.
- 2 books from the RO list by November 1.
- 4 books by February 1.
- 6 books by April 1.
More information to come soon. Happy Summer Reading!
This year, the goal we set for the Accelerated Reader program was for the entire school to earn 7,000 points in the program. The RES Language Arts Committee set this goal because our students earned 5,500 points in the 2012-13 school year.
The last day for students to take tests this year was on May 30. I am proud to announce that we more than DOUBLED last year’s goal! The final number was 11,972.5 AR points!
Way to go, Roadrunners!
UPDATE: Students are enjoying the bouncy house, obstacle course, and popsicle treats as a reward for their hard work!
RES truly has some AMAZING Reading Roadrunners!
This year, the RES Language Arts Committee set a goal for our students to earn a collective 7,000 Accelerated Reader points. Today is the final day to take AR tests, and our students have already earned over 11,400 points!
Students who have earned 100 points or more will be given a special prize during the Awards Ceremonies on June 5. A Grand Prize will also be awarded to the top AR point earner for the school!
On the morning of Tuesday, June 3, all RES students are invited to participate in an AR Celebration for their hard work. They will be treated to popsicles and some well-deserved play time on a rented inflatable obstacle course and bouncy house from Benham’s Bounceables (owned by the family of two former Roadrunners).
The AR Celebration will be held in the grassy area near Mrs. Gates and Mrs. Ferguson’s rooms. Teachers have signed up to bring their homerooms outside for a 30-minute time between the hours of 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM. In the event of rain, the AR Celebration will be moved indoors to the Multi-Purpose Room.
Congratulations on your reading success, Roadrunners!
I am SO proud of our Reading Roadrunners! We have surpassed our goal of earning 7,000 Accelerated Reader points as a school.
As of today, our students have earned 10,113.8 points!!!
- Kindergarten has scored an amazing 91.1 points so far. Each book at that level is only worth about 1/2 point, so that’s the equivalent of reading about 182 books…WOW!!!
- 1st grade has 609.8 points, which is approximately 1,219 books!!!
- 2nd grade is rocking it out at 1,267 points!!!
- 3rd grade has earned an impressive 1,525.2 points!!!
- 4th graders are reading machines with 2,861.3 points!!!
- 5th grade has read more than ever before with 3759.4 points!!!
And keep reading! Students have until May 30 to take AR tests. We have a BIG celebration planned on the morning of June 3. Stay tuned for more info!
AR is off to a FANTASTIC start at RES this year! We’ve set a school-wide goal of earning 7 THOUSAND POINTS this year. If we do, Mrs. Crowder promised to sit on the roof of our school and throw out prizes to students who participated in the AR program during the 2013-14 school year.
I’m happy to say that as of today, our students have already earned 1,916 total points! We are on track to surpass our goal…maybe we should change it to 10,000!!!
Way to go, Roadrunners! You rock!
During library classes, students in 3rd-5th grades have been given information about the Accelerated Reader program. Be sure to click on the link at the top of the page to learn more about AR. This program is open to all students in Kindergarten through 5th grade.
Prizes will be given away throughout the year to students who participate in this program and grand prizes to the top point earners in the school will be given out during the End of Year assemblies in May.
STUDENTS: JOIN THE 100% AR CLUB!!
Who can win prizes?
- Every Monday, ONE student will be chosen from grades K-2 and ONE from grades 3-5 to WIN!
How can students get entered to win?
- Each week EVERY student has a chance (or many chances) to win.
- Students who earn 100% on each AR test they take that week are automatically entered in the raffle. (ie – If students pass three AR tests with 100% that week, they are entered three times!)
What are the prizes?
- 100% AR Club winners can choose from a basket of goodies including an AR Brag Tag, a new book, a poster, candy, a gift certificate to the SCA supply cart, and more!
How do students know if they’ve won?
- Winners will be announced on the morning announcements each Monday.
Where do winners collect their prizes?
- The weekly winners will come to the Library-Media Center to choose from the prize basket on Monday mornings.
When can students take AR tests?
- Anytime! Students can use the laptops or desktops in their classrooms or they are always welcome to use the computers in the RES LMC.
- Susan Vaughan is available to assist students in the LMC with logging in between 8:00-8:30 AM and 2:45-3:00 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.
- Students can also get permission to stay after school to work on projects and take AR tests in the LMC on Thursdays from 3:00-5:15 PM.
Where can you learn more about the Accelerated Reader program?
SPREAD THE WORD!
THE 100% AR CLUB BEGINS THIS WEEK!