I am so excited for my students to visit the LMC this week!
5th grade classes will be introduced to Grolier Online, which includes eight encyclopedia databases: Encyclopedia Americana, Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, The New Book of Knowledge, La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre, America the Beautiful, Lands and Peoples, Amazing Animals of the World, and The New Book of Popular Science.
It’s a wonderful resource for them to use as it helps to…
- Build vocabulary and analytical skills
- Strive to comprehend increasing levels of text complexity
- Identify and articulate point of view
- Master analysis of evidence-based learning
- Build digital reading stamina
- Acquire content-area knowledge
- Closely read informational and authentic texts
Students will be given an assignment to use Grolier Online to create a coat of arms (to be displayed at Sir Readalot’s Castle Book Fair!!!). The coat of arms must include symbols that represent their heritage as well as what they would like to accomplish in the future.
4th grade students will continue to review how to use the Alexandria Online library catalog to search for books they would like to read. They will be given a TOP SECRET “Mission Possible” challenge to accomplish during class.
3rd grade teachers have asked me to help their students find “just right” books, so we will begin reading Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians (see last week’s post for more information).