If your child participated in the “Go Nutz for Reading” program this Spring, please send in the bookmarks ASAP. I need to send a list of participants to the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Once I receive the FREE tickets, I will pass them out to the participants.
*Please mark your calendar: THURSDAY, MAY 8th IS RES READING NIGHT @ THE DIAMOND! Students who participated in the “Go Nutz for Reading” program will get to join the on-field parade before the game and then stay for fireworks afterward. The game begins at 6:30 PM, so those who wish to join the parade should be there about an hour before game time. Hope to see you there!
The third grade “No Girls Allowed Book Club” continues to meet on Friday afternoons in the Library-Media Center.
So far this year, we have…
- explored Virginia wildlife
- earned free magazines
- read articles from Kids Discover magazines
- listened to GCPS Superintendent, Dr. James Lane, play the trumpet
- created Origami Yoda
- listened to funny poetry
- highlighted chapter books that appeal to boys
- played the “Who Am I?” game
- participated in a spooky storytelling event
- explored nonfiction titles
- matched jokes to their punch lines
- listened to audiobooks…and more!
With only a few weeks to go before the NGA Book Club must end for the year, we are trying to put together a few final exciting and engaging activities to inspire our boys to read for pleasure.
We are currently looking for male role models who…
- love to play basketball (for our upcoming Poetry Slam Dunk Contest)
- have a special interest they want to share (ie – technology,
- just want to lend a helping hand during Club meetings.
If you are interested, please contact Susan Vaughan ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
*The NGA Club meets every Friday from 2:40-3:10 PM in the RES Library-Media Center. It includes every third grade boy who attends RES!
Click here to check out our new Follett Shelf eBook collection!
You will need to use the username and password I provided you during Library classes. If you forgot, please contact me.
If you are planning on submitting a film for the first annual RES Student Film Festival, the due date has been extended to Friday, March 28th. The Film Festival Crew decided to do this so that students would have more time to complete their projects. This should give the committee enough time to get everything organized before Fine Arts Night on April 10th.
You may notice in the video that I am offering 3 passes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for student groups to visit the Library during lunch to complete their projects. I’m hoping that this will make up for some lost time from all of these crazy snow days.
If students are interested in obtaining a Film Festival Lunch Pass, they will need their teacher’s permission as well. Passes will be available in the Library on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings and will be given out on a first come, first served basis.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks so much!
Sue & the Film Festival Crew
If you’re looking for something fun and exciting to do on this 17th snow day of the school year, I have a wonderful idea for you! Take a look under beds, in closets, in book bags, and on desks for your lost Library books! Be sure to bring them back to school with you once we return!
Spaghetti Dinner Night is still ON! We will have special Book Fair Fiesta hours from 4-7 PM. Please visit and take a look at the amazing selection of books we will have for sale. And don’t forget that the Online Book Fair will be open until March 15th!
Update: Scholastic granted permission for the RES Book Fair Fiesta to stay open on MONDAY, March 10th! That will now be the final sale day.
VOLUNTEERS: Please sign up to help if at all possible! THANK YOU!
TEACHERS: The plan is to have the Book Fair open from 8 AM until 2 PM on Monday if we get enough volunteers to help with shifts. I am not going to schedule classes, just send students who bring money to the Book Fair when it is convenient for you. Please remember that it is typically very busy from 8:15-9 AM.
The wintry weather has prevented students from being able to shop at the RES Book Fair Fiesta. However, they can still shop ONLINE until March 15th.
The ONLINE Book Fair has plenty of benefits!
- Search for books by age, grade, category, & price.
- See what the latest movie favorites and hot series titles are.
- Browse through titles in this month’s special collection: Women’s History Month.
- View book trailers and podcasts to learn more about specific titles.
- Find out which books have won awards.
- View the flyers to see which books are highlighted.
- Discuss the book selections together, as a family.
- Send eCards to family & friends.
- Shop even if you’re not at home.
- Students can create their own virtual wish lists.
- FREE shipping to RES!
- More time to browse the selections…you have until March 15th!
- Many, many more titles are available at the ONLINE Book Fair than ever before!
- Best of all…ALL proceeds benefit the students and teachers at RES!
Click on the following link to visit the RES ONLINE Book Fair Fiesta:
You can also view a list of books I recommend: http://onlinebookfairs.scholastic.com/search/c1/Teacher/c2/VVCI1WnFd%2f8%3d/
Some of the children have expressed an interest in purchasing the Minecraft Essential Handbook at the RES Book Fair Fiesta. Unfortunately, the publisher has not yet released this title.
Because this title appears in the Book Fair advertising, children can pre-pay the $5.99 cost for this book at the Book Fair. I will keep a master list of all of the pre-paid orders. The pre-paid orders will be shipped directly to RES as soon as the books are available. Each child who pre-pays for this Minecraft book will get a FREE Minecraft poster as an apology for not being able to get the book during the Book Fair at school.
Due to the snow days this week, the Book Fair Fiesta will only be open for two days. It is open today from 8 AM until 3:30 PM and on Friday from 8 AM until 7 PM.
Students are scheduled to visit the Book Fair with their classes and will be given time to shop during school. You may also shop with your family – and are encouraged to come between 3 and 5 PM on Friday before the Spaghetti Dinner Night activities begin.
If you are sending money to school with your child, please be sure to make checks payable to RES.
Thank you for your continued support and encouragement to make reading an important part of your child’s life.
Since we missed the Preview Day as well as the 1st and 2nd Purchase Days at the Book Fair due to snow, I’m going to let teachers decide what is best for visiting the Book Fair with their classes.
- If you want to change/add times, please visit the Sign Up Genius link. There should still be plenty of time slots available for classes to sign up to preview and/or purchase books. The space is very small, so we can only accommodate one class at a time.
- Please stop by and help build classroom libraries by donating books to teachers!
Also, I have decided to stay OPEN from 8 AM until 7 PM on Friday. That should allow families plenty of time to visit prior to the Spaghetti Dinner Night festivities.
All other days, the Book Fair will only be open from 8 AM until 3:30 PM.