The Library-Media program has BIG plans for the 2013-14 school year!
- Third grade boys will be given the opportunity to join the “No Girls Allowed” Book Club, which will meet on Friday afternoons.
- Fourth and fifth grade students are encouraged to participate in Reading Olympics on Wednesday afternoons.
- Second grade students will be participating in an arts-integrated grant-funded unit titled “Discovery: What Lies Beneath the Surface”, created by Mrs. Edmonds and Mrs. Vaughan.
- Students who turned in their “Read to Win” summer reading forms will be awarded blue ribbons at Field Day of the Past on Sunday, September 22nd.
- All students will participate in the “Read for the Record” program on Thursday, October 3rd.
- Kindergarten will go on the first-ever Library Field Trip on Monday, November 4th to see a theatrical production of Skippyjon Jones at University of Richmond’s Modlin Center for the Arts.
- An Ancient Egyptian-themed book fair will take place from November 4th-8th.
- A second book fair is scheduled from March 1st-7th (theme TBA).
- A famous special guest author/illustrator will be visiting RES to speak to students during Reading Month in March.
- Dr. Seuss Day will be on Monday, March 3rd.
- RES will be hosting the 2014 Reading Olympics tournament on Thursday, April 3rd.
- Students will be working together throughout the year to create productions for the first annual Student Film Festival on Fine Arts Night in April.
- Accelerated Reader awards will be given out throughout the year…and grand prizes awarded at the awards assemblies in May.
More than ever, volunteers are needed and appreciated to make all of our Library-Media dreams come true. Please contact Susan Vaughan if you are able to donate some of your time to these wonderful projects lined up for the school year.