The first grade students have been working toward reading all ten of the books on the 2012-2013 Virginia Readers’ Choice list.
The purpose of this Virginia State Reading Association program is…
To encourage young readers to become better acquainted with contemporary books with outstanding literary appeal, to broaden students’ awareness of literature as a life-long pleasure, to encourage reading aloud in classrooms as a means of introducing reading for pleasure, and to honor favorite books and their authors.
The first graders have truly been enjoying the titles we’ve read on this year’s list. So far, they have participated in lessons about…
- City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems
- Dinosaur Versus Bedtime by Bob Shea
- Blue Chameleon by Emily Gravett
- I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll
- Say Hello to Zorro by Carter Goodrich
- Immi’s Gift by Karin Littlewood
Which book will be their favorite? Only time will tell!
See below for a few activities that the first graders completed on these titles. Be sure to ask your first grader to retell the story for you!