The RES LMC just received a shipment of NEW Nonfiction titles. Here are just a few that have arrived today:
Super Trivia Collection
- This Book Beats the Odds: A Collection of Amazing and Startling Odds
- This Book is History: A Collection of Cool U.S. History Trivia
- This Book is Top Secret: A Collection of Awesome Military Trivia
- This Book Might Bite: A Collection of Wacky Animal Trivia
- This Book Might Blow You Away: A Collection of Amazing Weather Trivia
- This Book Might Make You Gag: A Collection of Crazy Gross Trivia
- This Book Requires Safety Goggles: A Collection of Bizarre Science Trivia
- This Book’s Got Game: A Collection of Awesome Sports Trivia
America’s Animal Soldiers
- Dolphins in the Navy
- Sea Lions in the Navy
- Horses, Donkeys, and Mules in the Marines
- War Dogs
Sports Illustrated KIDS: Play Like the Pros
- Play Baseball Like a Pro
- Play Basketball Like a Pro
- Play Football Like a Pro
- Play Soccer Like a Pro
Be sure to visit the RES Library Catalog for more information about these and other titles available in the RES Library-Media Center!
Mark your calendars – the Scholastic Book Fair is nearly here! This fall’s theme is a perfect fit for our RES fitness focus this year:
Want to volunteer or visit the book fair? Volunteers should email our Volunteer Coordinator, Nicole Melton - email@example.com – She will connect you with our Sign-Up Genius link to choose which shift you’d like to work.
Here’s the schedule of events:
THURSDAY, Nov. 8 – Set Up Day
- 12:30-3:30 PM
- TEACHER Sneak Preview ~ 4:00-5:00 PM (Teachers will make wish lists of books they’d like to have donated to their classrooms.)
FRIDAY, Nov. 9 — Student Preview Day
All students visit the book fair to make wish lists of the books they would like to purchase.
MONDAY, Nov. 12 — Purchase Day
TUESDAY, Nov. 13 — WILD WEST Purchase Day
Wear Wild West attire today!
- 8:00 AM - 3:15 PM
- SPECIAL EVENT: GRANDPARENTS NIGHT ~ 5:30-8:00 PM
WEDNESDAY, Nov. 14 — Purchase Day
THURSDAY, Nov. 15 — ALL STAR Purchase Day
Wear sports attire today!
- 10:30 AM - 3:15 PM
- SPECIAL EVENT: FAMILY NIGHT ~ 3:30-6:00 PM ~ We’re going into Overtime for our last night of the book fair!
- All-Star soccer competition @ 5:30 PM ~ Everyone welcome!
- This is the FINAL sales day of the book fair!
FRIDAY, Nov. 12 — Take Down & Pack Up
Can’t make it to our family events? Can’t find a specific title you need? Look no further – you can SHOP AT THE ONLINE BOOK FAIR! The link to the online book fair will be available from November 4-24 only.
Last Friday, our amazing Art teacher, Mrs. Edmonds, invited a special guest speaker to come to the LMC and speak with the 5th grade students about the Day of the Dead. The students have been learning about this special holiday in art classes. Mr. Alford, parent of a 5th grade student, shared his passion for collecting objects connected to this holiday.
Book Character Day is nearly here! To prepare for this special occasion, students have been learning about characters during library lessons for the past few weeks.
The kindergarten and first grade classes learned about the difference between a character and the main character in a story. To illustrate how the main character is who the story is mostly about, we previewed the book Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse written by Kevin Henkes.
We kept tally marks for how often each character in the story appeared in the illustrations. By the end of the story, it was obvious to the students that Lilly was definitely the main character!
After learning this information, we then read the story and talked about how to easily create a Lilly costume (or any other favorite book character costume) for our upcoming Book Character Day. Then, students were given a copy of Lilly’s signature red boot and were asked to draw a picture to share something important about their character.
The second grade students completed their armadillo research projects last week. The unit ended with a STEM-inspired hands-on team project – building paper plate armadillos!
STUDENTS: JOIN THE 100% AR CLUB!!
Who can win prizes?
- Every Monday, ONE student will be chosen from grades K-2 and ONE from grades 3-5 to WIN!
How can students get entered to win?
- Each week EVERY student has a chance (or many chances) to win.
- Students who earn 100% on each AR test they take that week are automatically entered in the raffle. (ie – If students pass three AR tests with 100% that week, they are entered three times!)
What are the prizes?
- 100% AR Club winners can choose from a basket of goodies including an AR Brag Tag, a new book, a poster, candy, a gift certificate to the SCA supply cart, and more!
How do students know if they’ve won?
- Winners will be announced on the morning announcements each Monday.
Where do winners collect their prizes?
- The weekly winners will come to the Library-Media Center to choose from the prize basket on Monday mornings.
When can students take AR tests?
- Anytime! Students can use the laptops or desktops in their classrooms or they are always welcome to use the computers in the RES LMC.
- Susan Vaughan is available to assist students in the LMC with logging in between 8:00-8:30 AM and 2:45-3:00 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Fridays.
- Students can also get permission to stay after school to work on projects and take AR tests in the LMC on Thursdays from 3:00-5:15 PM.
Where can you learn more about the Accelerated Reader program?
SPREAD THE WORD!
THE 100% AR CLUB BEGINS THIS WEEK!
On October 31st, RES will be celebrating Book Character Day.
Students are encouraged to dress as their favorite book character for the day.
- The student must read the book and bring a copy of the book to school on October 31st.
- The student must be prepared to share why this character is his/her favorite.
- The student must wear an appropriate costume for school OR bring a prop. (No masks, gore, weapons, or super-scary items allowed.)
- Classroom teachers will be giving students additional details.
It’s not too early to begin selecting and reading a book for Book Character Day! Forms with information for parents should be sent home this week.