FAQs: Kindergarten Registration

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1. When can children begin kindergarten? State guidelines dictate that a child who is five years old on or before September 30 of the upcoming school year should enroll in kindergarten.

2. How do I register my child for kindergarten? Thursday, April 11, 2013 (8:00-4:30) is the established day for 2013-14 kindergarten registration across our region of the Commonwealth. Families should plan to register at the elementary school whose attendance zone corresponds to their home address. (Please contact Ms. Sonia Ruqus at 556-5361 with individual questions regarding elementary school attendance zones.) Even if families do not have all of the required documents, they should plan to register on April 11 in order to begin the enrollment process.

3. What do I need to register my child for kindergarten? TWO of the following documents are required: Proof of residency documents such as: • tax returns • voter registration card • recent payroll stub with physical address • automobile registration • utility bill (other than cell phone)/deposit receipt

Families will also need to bring the following documents that are required before a child may begin school in the fall: • a certified birth certificate for the child, or, for non-U.S. citizens, other substantiating documentation such as a passport or an I – 94 form; • the child’s social security card; • a copy of a comprehensive physical examination by a qualified, licensed physician within 12 months prior to the date the child begins school; and, • evidence of immunizations as required by Virginia law.

4. My child will be five by September 30, 2013, but is not yet ready for kindergarten. Do I have to enroll my child this school year? No. Your child’s enrollment may be delayed for one year; however, you should notify the Superintendent in writing of your plans to delay kindergarten registration for one year.

5. My child just misses the deadline for enrollment in kindergarten by a few days. Is there a waiver of the age requirement? No. Goochland County Public Schools does not offer a waiver of the age requirement.

6. Will my child attend a half-day or full-day kindergarten program? Goochland County Public Schools operates a full-day kindergarten program.

7. I am separated from my spouse and I don’t want him/her to visit or pick up my child. Will you make sure that doesn’t happen? Anyone other than the natural parent of a child must provide legal guardianship papers when enrolling a child in school. If your spouse is the natural parent of your child and you do not have legal papers showing court ordered arrangements, we must, by law, allow the parent to see the child. It is the responsibility of the parent(s) to provide the school with appropriate legal documents.

8. When is the first day of kindergarten and when will we learn who our kindergarten teacher is? Generally, the first day of school is the third Monday in August. Please check the school division website (http://www.glnd.k12.va.us/) this spring for the Board approved 2013-14 division calendar. You will receive a letter in the mail in August from your child’s school stating your child’s teacher assignment.

9. How will I know where and when to wait for the school bus? You will receive your child’s transportation information from the transportation department. This letter will contain your child’s bus driver’s name, bus number, telephone number, bus stop times and location. A responsible adult should be there with your child at least 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive in the morning and the afternoon. An adult should be at the bus stop until your child reaches fourth grade.

10. Is there an orientation specifically for families of incoming kindergarten students? Yes. Each of our three elementary schools will host a Kindergarten Orientation for families. This event is an opportunity to hear from school administration about day-to-day school operations and kindergarten programming. It’s also an opportunity for kindergarteners to meet their teachers and visit their classrooms. Kindergarten Orientation is typically held on the Thursday before the first day of the new school year.

11. Where may I obtain more information? http://www.doe.virginia.gov/students_parents/student_enrollment.shtml

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.