License Renewal

Working with our new teachers, I’ve been reminded that license renewal, recertification, continuing contract – these issues can get blurry, especially to folks new to teaching and/or Virginia.

You have to remember that the issue of your continuing contract with Goochland – or any local school division – is entirely separate from your maintaining your license with the state. Both carry timelines & have specific requirements, so they can be confusing.

Your Virginia license will need to be renewed every 5 years. That 5 year timeline begins as soon as you receive your full license. During each 5 year period you will need to earn 180 renewal points. There is a renewal record form (see your principal orĀ email me) that is used for documenting these points. We’ll talk more about this later.

One important point that can be confusing: if you do NOT have a master’s degree, you MUST earn at least 90 of your 180 points from coursework (that’s 3 semester hours in your applicable content area). The coursework needs to be approved before you take your class(es) – and keep in mind, as long as the budget allows, GCPS will reimburse your tuition for up to 12 credit hours of coursework each year (use the tuition reimbursement form found in your employee handbook & make sure you turn it in BEFORE you enroll).

I intend to keep this blog updated with the most current information regarding both topics. Just about any questions you might have regarding your license can be answered at the VA Department of Education’s licensure page. It can be overwhelming, though, so I plan to unpack each topic a & provide quick access for you.

Until I can get it all posted, please don’t hesitate to contact me or Sandra Barefoot-Reid with any questions you have.

This entry was posted in Licensure & Certification. Bookmark the permalink.