Out of Our Minds – Part 2

Continuing my traversal of Ken Robinson’s book… I came across this quote at the end of Chapter 4.

Human intelligence includes the capacity for academic activity; this does not mean that academic activity is the whole of intelligence.

Scratch Project

This is something I believe and is the reason why I believe strongly in “ways of learning” that aren’t tied to reading books. These include hands-on exploration, computing, and kinetic activity, including the arts of dance, painting, singing, playing an instrument, or building something.

This week I’m away from Goochland on vacation – but I’m spending my vacation doing Scratch training in Chesterfield, working with teachers from Goochland, Dinwiddie, Powhatan, Maggie Walker, and Hanover. I hope they’re having fun. My blog post for this is located here.

We’re exploring the different types of projects you can complete in Scratch, all based around a design-model of pedagogy. The photos above feature our foray into story-telling with the inspiration coming from six-word stories (blame Hemmingway). I get excited to see the traditional ways of thinking about teaching fall away the deeper we get into creating creative projects with a tool such as Scratch.

We’ve got an awesome mix of teachers, from elementary, SPED, middle school, and high school backgrounds, including teachers of world languages and those in technology.

And it all goes back to Ken Robinson’s quote above: there are profound opportunities to develop one’s intelligence (or for humankind to show their intelligence) outside of the world of “academic” learning. My experience this week is reminding me what a great place we have for learning in Goochland.