Out of Our Minds (Read Along)

Last week, I picked up Sir Ken Robinson’s latest book. I thought I’d blog about the parts I really liked, as I read it.

It’s a book about the importance of creativity in education today. I really believe strongly in the importance of creativity, so I hope I read a lot of things I agree with!

Preface

• Creativity is the greatest gift of human intelligence.

Chapter 1

• Most children think they’re highly creative; most adults think they’re not. This is a bigger issue than it may seem.
  • Innovation is the process of putting new ideas into practice.
  • No matter where you are, or what you do, if you are alive and on earth you are caught up in a global revolution.
  • It is essential that education and training enable people to be flexible and adaptable, so that businesses can respond to changing markets.
  • In my experience, many, perhaps most people, have no idea of their real capabilities and talents.
  • Ironically one of hte main reasons for this massive waste of talent is the very process that is meant to develop it: education.
  • Life is not linear. When you follow your own true north you create new opportunities, meet different people, have different experiences and create a different life.
  • But as Lincoln said, it is not enough to think differently. We also have to act differently.
  • Those with the imagination to invent smarter ways to do old jobs, energy-saving ways to provide new services, new ways to attract old customers or new ways to combine existing technologies will thrive.
  • The single-most important leadership competency for organizations to deal with this growing complexity is… Creativity.
  • All organizations are organic and perishable. In a world where lifelong employment in the same job is a thing of the past, creativity is not a luxury.

So far, so good. If you’re thinking about getting this book, check out Sir Ken from the TED conference.